Subaru snags first stadium naming rights in company history
Subaru of America isn't just selling record numbers of cars. They're also achieving milestones of a different variety. Today the company announced that it has purchased the naming rights to the stadium where the Philadelphia Union Major League Soccer club plays. This is the first time that the automaker has put its name on a stadium.
The multi-year deal is worth an undisclosed amount and will rename the stadium Subaru Park. The 18,500-seat destination in Chester County, Pennsylvania has previously been know as PPL Park and Talen Energy Stadium. Subaru of America's headquarters is in the greater Philadelphia area.
As part of the deal, Subaru's company name will be splashed across the stadiumPhoto courtesy of Subaru of America Inc.
Additionally, Subaru will become the official and exclusive automotive partner of the Philadelphia Union and the two companies have made a commitment to Philadelphia area community that will produce a series of charitable programs that extend Subaru's ongoing charitable efforts. The Subaru Love Promise program roster currently includes:
- Subaru Loves the Earth - A focus on creating a more sustainable environment for fans and the Philadelphia community through recycling efforts and a community garden to grow and donate fresh fruits and vegetables to local communities in need.
- Subaru Loves to Help - An effort to provide underserved communities the equipment and resources needed to become active and experience the game of soccer in and around the city.
- Subaru Loves to Care - A commitment to support children battling cancer, to highlight and recognize unsung heroes in our community, as well as a celebration of all walks of life regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.
- Subaru Loves Pets - A mission to unite pets with loving homes and to support pet adoption and animal welfare in the Greater Philadelphia community.
Subaru recently announced that it re-upped its Share the Love campaign for the 12th year.
"Today is the start of a historic new chapter for the Philadelphia Union, both with the inauguration of our 2020 season at Subaru Park and in the official beginning of our relationship with Subaru of America, a partner that shares in our vision for a better future for our fans and surrounding community," said Tim McDermott, Philadelphia Union President. "Subaru of America has consistently exemplified a passionate commitment to the community and bringing people together, which is a core value upon which our club was founded. We are committed to working hand-in-hand to give back and create a better world for our fans and the people of the Greater Philadelphia area."
The Union went 16-7-11 in 2019 reaching the MLS playoffs. The team was founded in 2010 as part of a league expansion.
- Subaru heads toward mass electrification as the automaker lays out ... ›
- Subaru debuts new commercials, partnerships with Buzzfeed and ... ›
- First Drive Review: 2020 Subaru Outback checks all the boxes it ... ›
- U.S. Soccer teams with Volkswagen to support 9 charities - AutomotiveMap ›