Meet the 1 million-stitch Rolls-Royce 'Rose Phantom'
A Stockholm-based entrepreneur with an affinity for flowers has commissioned a new Rolls-Royce Phantom. When he ordered the car, he challenged Rolls-Royce Bespoke Collective, the company's high-level customization team, to envision a car that wrapped its occupants in a floral scene.
The result is a new Phantom with one million embroidered stitches.
The embroidery encompasses the entire cabin.Photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
"The Rose Phantom is a stunning iteration of a contemporary Rolls-Royce," said Torsten Müller Ötvös, Chief Executive, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. "Our extraordinary craftspeople at the Home of Rolls-Royce have achieved, with this car, something which can only be described as sublime. The work of our Bespoke Collective is the best in the world. When I look at creations like this car, it is with a sense of pride that I know that these skills could not be replicated anywhere else in the world. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest Rolls-Royce Phantoms of its generation."
Ieuan Hatherall, one of the Bespoke Designers on the Rolls-Royce team, took inspiration for the design from the rose garden at the Home of Rolls-Royce in Goodwood, West Sussex. It is in that garden that a special breed of flower, the Phantom Rose, is exclusively grown. It was bred exclusively for Rolls-Royce by British Rose Breeder Philip Harkness of Harkness Roses.
The owner's family chose the exterior paint color of the sedan.Photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
"There is a transcendent beauty when a rose garden is in full bloom," Hatherall said, "The patron wanted to create that same feeling of awe; an abundance of flowers to lift the spirit and celebrate nature's decadent beauty, in the Rose Phantom's serene interior."
The exterior of the new Rose Phantom car is covered in a Peacock Blue paint job. It features a Charles Blue twinned-coachline designed to intertwine like the stem of a rose. The wheels are the same color as the pinstripe.
The flowers on the car's interior were inspired by the garden at Goodwood.Photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
Inside the model is the one-million stitch embroidery. Starting with the inside of the rear doors and opening up to engulf the cabin in the stitched mastery of a season in full bloom. The Phantom Roses depicted appear in various stages from bud to bloom, in an asymmetrical design that appears to naturally grow across the roof lining. The roses are interspersed with the individual fiber-optic lights of the car's headliner.
At the patron's request, butterflies were added to the design.Photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
Charles Blue leather fills the interior and is accented with Peacock Blue piping. Stems of embroidered roses fill the Phantom's Gallery, climbing through the element's glass-fronted fascia.
In addition to the flowers, Peacock and Adonis Blue butterflies were added to the motif.
Embroidered flowers and butterflies surround the driver and passengers.Photo courtesy of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
While the car was inspired by nature, it was designed to haul around a family, who also played an integral role in its design. The patron has a wife and two children. His daughter Magnolia chose the exterior color of the car while his wife designed the Rolls-Royce's umbrella.
- Rolls-Royce Black Badge short film features bionic performance ... ›
- Metallica, Radiohead help Rolls-Royce take bespoke to new decibel ... ›
- Bespoke Magma Red Rolls-Royce Phantom to be auctioned online ... ›
- Rolls-Royce takes inspiration from world's fastest bird for new ... ›
- 14 technical details that make a Rolls-Royce a Rolls-Royce - AutomotiveMap ›
- Even the flowers at Rolls-Royce are bespoke: Inside the creation of the Phantom Rose - AutomotiveMap ›
- Rolls-Royce's 'Inspiring Greatness' film series features unique insight from global citizens - AutomotiveMap ›
- Before Rolls met Royce: How a bespoke automotive partnership was born - AutomotiveMap ›
- Rolls-Royce Wraith Kryptos Collection debuts with ciphers - AutomotiveMap ›
- Rolls-Royce debuts online cryptography game linked to Wraith Kryptos Collection - AutomotiveMap ›
- Next-gen Rolls-Royce Ghost will debut later this year - AutomotiveMap ›