New OnStar Guardian app untethers users from vehicle, lets them retain services
With OnStar Guardian, members with active OnStar service plans and up to seven of their family members and friends can access critical OnStar safety services from their compatible phones, whether they're at home, out walking, or traveling in any vehicle, regardless of brand, age or ownership.
The app brings the convenience of OnStar technology to a mobile device.Photo courtesy of General Motors
Features of the app include mobile crash response, roadside assistance, emergency services, and location status.
- Mobile crash response - When you need to travel, the OnStar Guardian app brings Mobile Crash Response to any vehicle you or your loved ones are in. The Guardian app is designed to use your smartphone's sensors to help detect a crash and alert an Emergency-Certified OnStar advisor, who can connect with first responders. Mobile Crash Response services can connect you to an OnStar advisor automatically on Android devices only.
- Roadside assistance - If you or your loved ones need to be on the road and need a jump, have a flat or get locked out, use the OnStar Guardian app to request Roadside Assistance for any vehicle.
- Emergency services -The red Emergency button in the app provides access to OnStar Emergency-Certified advisors, who are available 24/7. These advisors are certified by the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch and can assess a situation, contact 911 as needed, provide critical medical instruction and stay on the line until help arrives.
- Location status - OnStar members and the loved ones they choose can share their location with the entire group in the "My Family" section of the app. Members can have added peace of mind and see locations of their loved ones, based on the location of their smartphone, right in the app.
General Motors is expanding the power of OnStar from the vehicle to the smartphone with a new mobile app for OnStar members in the United States and Canada, available complimentary for six months if members redeem the offer by Friday, July 31, 2020.
OnStar members can check their eligibility and redeem the complimentary OnStar Guardian offer at: onstar.com/guardian.
- Ford making FordPass remote features complementary ... ›
- GM boasts that new safety technologies are keeping crashes at bay ... ›
- OnStar adds fleet telematics solution for managers and drivers ... ›
- Complementary acmes to Calm app now available for Lincoln owners - AutomotiveMap ›
- General Motors ready to get into the car insurance market under its OnStar umbrella - AutomotiveMap ›