Next-gen Porsche Classic Communication Management system adds modern tech to classic cars
The Porsche Classic Management System (PCMS) brings many of the features of the company's current infotainment system to classic cars, in a way that doesn't detract from the vintage aesthetic of the model. The new system is designed to fit into spot where traditional head units were located in classic cars.
The black surface finish and the shape of the knobs give the module a vintage look. It also has a Porsche logo that is suitable for sports car generations between the first 911 models of the 1960s and the 911 (993).
The 1-DIN system slips into the classic radio positioning on the dashboard.Photo courtesy of Porsche AG
Porsche is offering the new, next-gen model of the PCMS system in 1-DIN or 2-DIN dimensions. They both offer a high-resolution touch screen, DAB+, Apple CarPlay, and navigation. Media playback is available via SD card, USB, AUX, and Bluetooth as well.
Users operate the PCMS in 1-Din via two rotary knobs, six integrated buttons, and a touch-sensitive 3.5-inch display. This next-gen model uses "Point of Interest" navigation search functionality. Route guidance is delivered via an arrow in a two- or three-dimensional view.
Like the predecessor model, it includes a navigation function with "Point of Interest" search in an enhanced version. Route guidance optionally takes place as a simple arrow representation in a 2D or 3D view. The corresponding map material is provided on a separate SD card, which can also be ordered in the Porsche Classic online shop or through a Porsche centre.
Owners of Porsche 911 (996) models may have a vehicle that is already equipped with a Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system in 2-DIN format. For those owners Porsche has developed the Porsche Classic Communication Plus system, which includes a 7-inch touch screen display. With the PCCM Plus, the car's amplifier, loudspeakers, or antenna can still be used. Navigation displays on the instrument cluster continue to be supported. In addition to having the same functionality as the 1-DIN system, the unit is compatible with Android Auto.
The new PCCM systems can be ordered via the Porsche Classic online shop or through the Porsche Centre. Installation in a Porsche dealer is recommended.
- Porsche Design adds 911 Speedster Heritage Design Chronograph ... ›
- New tech allows Porsche to give 911 buyers the ultimate ... ›
- Auction of last Porsche 911 (991) raises $1 million for the United ... ›
- 2021 Cayenne GTS, Cayenne GTS Coupé add engaging performance to Porsche's mommymobile - AutomotiveMap ›
- Apple WWDC: Phone-as-key coming to BMW 5 Series, other brands likely to follow - AutomotiveMap ›
- Apple WWDC: Apple CarPlay gets minor updates - AutomotiveMap ›
- Porsche Track Precision App extends in-car tech functionality - AutomotiveMap ›
- RBW EV Roadster combines classic sports car design with EV technology - AutomotiveMap ›
- Here's how to get roadside assistance via Amazon Alexa - AutomotiveMap ›