New Model News
2021 Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 blends performance with three rows of seating, befitting luxury
Mercedes has done it again. The 2021 Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 combines the performance buyers expect from anything with the AMG label with three rows of seating and high-end appointments befitting its price tag.
Its exterior is accented by an AMG-specific radiator grille that features high-gloss slats and is the largest in the Mercedes-AMG lineup. It features standard LED headlights with high beam assist. The SUV has the first implementation of a new AMG front bumper style, which integrates the front splitter, trim strip, and side air inlets.
The SUV rides on standard 21-inch wheels.Photo courtesy of Mercedes-Benz
Around the side there are flared wheel arches, body-color mirror housings, and chrome window surrounds. There is a rectangular twin-tailpipe setup at the rear. The model rides on standard 21-inch AMG multi-spoke wheels. Up to 23-inchers are available.
The SUV is powered by a 4.0-liter biturbo V8 engine that achieves 603 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque. It has a 48-volt electrical system that helps boost off-the-line efficiency and gives the car additional power at low speed. That adds 184 pound-feet of torque to the 627 the gasoline engine achieves. A nine-speed automatic transmission completes the powertrain. To get from zero to 60 mph takes 4.1 seconds and ther SUV has an electronically limited top speed of 174 mph.
The SUV has an elongated wheelbase, which allows for more legroom in the 2021 model.Photo courtesy of Mercedes-Benz
All GLS 63s feature all-wheel drive and active ride control, which is an air suspension that works to stabilize the cabin of the vehicle no matter the terrain.
Mercedes has equipped the model with six drive modes:
- Comfort - suspension and steering are set up for an emphasis on comfort.
- Sporty - more agile response to accelerator pedal input, shorter shift times and earlier downshifts
- Sport+ - even more agile throttle response, selective torque control for upshifts, increased idle speed
- Individual - individual adjustment of the drive system, transmission, AMG DYNAMICS, suspension and exhaust system
- Trail - maximum performance on soft, muddy or slippery ground; suspension is raised to a two inches when below 44 mph
- Sand - adjustments to the suspension and all-wheel drive system are made for sporty driving on loose, sandy surfaces; two additional inches of ground clearance when below 44 mph
The seven-seater features all the typical high-end GLS design elements alongside the usual list of AMG treatment items including brushed stainless steel pedals with rubber studs, illuminated door sills, "AMG" lettering throughout the cabin on a variety of surfaces, and high-gloss trim elements.
High-end appointments and fresh, modern technology fill the cockpit of the SUV.Photo courtesy of Mercedes-Benz
In front of the driver is a 12.3-inch driver information display and a 12.3-inch infotainment touch screen takes center stage. The instrument cluster has AMG-specific content including a variety of drive modes and track-ready instrumentation.
Second-row seats are heated as standard while heated seats are available for third row passengers. Both of those rows of passengers benefit from the GLS's longer wheelbase in this new generation, which allows for significant additional legroom.
The Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 features a driver-centric interior design.Photo courtesy of Mercedes-Benz
The SUV comes with a long list of innovative safety technology, including Active Distance Assist with route-based speed adjustment. This system uses live traffic monitoring software to adjust speeds accordingly.
Additional available equipment includes a Burmester surround sound system, the Warmth and Comfort Package, Air-Balance Package, and Energizing Package, all of which add additional levels of sophistication to this family hauler.
- Check out the supercars inside Houston Astros ace Justin ... ›
- These are the best vehicle brands according to U.S. News & World ... ›
- Look out Bentley, the 2021 Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 is coming ... ›
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz CLS gains paint options, artificial intelligence, safety upgrades - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG GT 43 is the new, lowest priced model in the AMG GT family - AutomotiveMap ›