McLaren Tech Club reveals how the 765LT has 25% more downforce than the 720S
The third episode of the McLaren Tech Club series features Design Director Rob Melville share the secrets of the aggressive design of the new 765LT sports car. Its advanced design and engineering allow it to have 25 percent more downforce than the McLaren 720S.
The 720S replaced the 650S in 2017. Its lighter body and stiffer frame made it an impressive addition to the supercar manufacturer's lineup. Its body is made of a single piece of carbon fiber that includes the roof- innovation first seen on the McLaren P1. Its dihedral doors and fierce rear light signature gave the 720S unique personality while its twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 engine delivered heart-racing energy.
The car has 25-percent more downforce than the McLaren 720S.Photo courtesy of McLaren Automotive
McLaren has taken the engineering of the 720S and improved upon it in the new 765LT. Melville describes the 756LT as the ultimate LT driving experience in the film, telling how key features like the optional louvers impact the way the car moves over the street in such a way to minimize the impact of air.
The short also points out that the polycarbonate rear screen and C-pillars are designed to reduce the overall weight of the car as well as offer a 360-degree field of view for the driver- something the 720S also has. The car's engine mounts and polycarbonate glazing allow for engine noise to flood the cabin.
Designers at the McLaren Composite Technology Centre have given the car a carbon fiber active rear wing, which delivers much of the vehicle's downforce. There's also a fresh front splitter. on the aggressive front end and side air intakes.
McLaren says that the car gets to 100 km/h from a standstill in 2.7 seconds and to 200 km/h in 7.2 seconds.
Melville makes it clear, every part of the 765LT is executed with purpose and centered around the drive experience.
Watch the full McLaren Tech Club film below to see exactly what Melville is talking about.
McLaren Tech Club - Episode 3 - 765LT Design: Explored www.youtube.com
See other McLaren Tech Club videos on YouTube and read more about the series here on AutomotiveMap.com.
- McLaren Verdant Theme GT by MSO comes complete with ... ›
- McLaren Tech Club reveals the secret behind the Senna GTR's wing ... ›
- McLaren 765LT debut marks the next chapter of the Longtail story ... ›
- McLaren Tech Club reveals how the company selected the GT's high-tech interior materials - AutomotiveMap ›
- Donkervoort Automobielen has sold more than half of the JD70s it's going to build - AutomotiveMap ›
- New McLaren-Gulf deal offers the opportunity to get a Gulf livery on your next supercar - AutomotiveMap ›
- McLaren shows us what will be underneath the skin of its next generation of supercars - AutomotiveMap ›
- New, intense MSO R Pack available for McLaren 620R but not in the U.S. - AutomotiveMap ›