Here are the 6 models Acura will introduce by 2022 according to a leaked dealer slideshow
Fan forum AcuraZine reports to have slideshow images from an Acura dealership presentation that was given earlier this month. As part of the presentation, the premium vehicle arm of Honda detailed its moves for the next two years, including the introduction of six new models.
Acura has been on a teaser tear lately as it looks to ramp up the speed at which it's working to differentiate itself not just from Honda cars and SUVs but also from the rest of the field. Company employees have not been shy about vocalizing their desire to bring the company back into focus with performance as an intended key attribute to success.
Let's take a closer look.
2021 Acura TLX
Photo courtesy of Acura
Acura is upping the power, even on the base version, for the 2021 model year. Read more about the redesigned TLX here.
2021 Acura TLX Type S
Photo courtesy of Acura
Acura has debuted a redesigned TLX for the 2021 model year. With it, a sportier model will debut called the TLX Type S. You can read more about both models here.
The next generation of the Acura MDX is coming. It's expected to have looks that are in line with the RDX while giving buyers a well-appointed cabin that is full of premium features and seating across three rows. Look for the MDX to debut later this year.
Acura MDX Type S
The Acura MDX Type S might just be a new sleeper car. Poised to have a dramatic looking exterior (think RDX + MDX + TLX Type S), there's reason to believe that this SUV might just haul more than luggage. Fingers are crossed.
"New Compact Sedan"
There's a good chance that Acura is bringing back the Integra name for its new compact car, which will replace the ILX in the automaker's lineup. The ILX originally replaced the Acura CSX, which was only sold in Canada and was the first compact car Acura sold after the RSX was discontinued. With or without Integra badging, it's coming.
"New Compact Sedan" Type S
By now you're probably figuring out the trend. Acura will be offering performance-focused variants of all of its upcoming models, giving them the "Type S" badge with purchase. Think of it as the Acura equivalent of the Audi A3 vs S3 vs RS 3 nomenclature where the S3 is sportier than the A3, but not track-focused like RS 3.
The Acura RDX is currently built on its own platform, which means that it's likely just a matter of timing before a Type S variant becomes available. Will it be part of a mid-cycle refresh? Will we be waiting until a full redesign around 2025? Only time will tell.
The exclusion of plans for the NSX isn't a surprise. The car recently went through a sold design refresh and it's more likely that Acura would tune the model and update the interior more than rushing a generational redesign for the halo car.
Likewise, the lack of RLX or its successor is indicative of the market today. Most automakers are killing off their large cars, with the exception of the German car companies, as buyers move toward midsize and larger SUVs instead. The RLX says goodbye after the 2020 model year. Given that the company sold, on average, less than 100 of them a month for the last few years, it's not likely many in the U.S. will notice its absence.
- Acura confirms that it is killing its lowest-selling sedan in the U.S. ... ›
- Acura wins IMSA title using same engine tech that's on dealership lots ›
- Check out the bright red, handcrafted Acura MDX PMC Edition ... ›
- Honda's new wraparound airbag is one small part of their commitment to safety innovation - AutomotiveMap ›
- Acura teases looks of next-gen MDX and sets October 14 debut date - AutomotiveMap ›
- Next-gen MDX Prototype's interior reveals upgraded cabin with TLX-like looks - AutomotiveMap ›
- New Acura MDX Prototype is nearly the real thing - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 Acura MDX gets a complete redo, gains high-tech features, Type S model - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2021 Acura TLX Review: Stylish and sporty, with lots of bang for the buck - AutomotiveMap ›
- Acura reveals more model details ahead of on-sale date for 2021 Acura TLX Type S - AutomotiveMap ›
- Acura explores its origin story in a new ad for the redesigned 2022 MDX - AutomotiveMap ›
- Production of the 2022 Acura MDX Type S has begun - AutomotiveMap ›