Such a Tease
BMW teases debut of refreshed 2021 5 Series
Though there have been leaks featuring the look of the 2021 BMW 5 Series already, the German automaker is marching full steam ahead with a teaser campaign ahead of the model's official debut just a few weeks from now.
From the looks of the teaser, the company's signature kidney grille will be getting a redesign, but not the bucktoothed look of the i4 Concept. It's okay to release a sigh of relief. The headlights appear to have a fresh level of squint, which is in keeping with the looks of the concept.
The current BMW 5 Series is shown for comparison.Photo courtesy of BMW
While it's not shown in the teaser image, there are a few powertrain tidbits we know for sure. First off, the 5 Series sedan and wagon will be electrified. Remember, that doesn't mean that they'll be electric vehicles (EVs). This likely means that we'll see some level of 48-volt mild hybrid and traditional hybrid system available throughout the lineup, as well as a plug-in hybrid model. Europe is also likely to get a diesel variant.
Rear- and all-wheel drive will likely remain as standard and available, respectively, because this is just a facelift rather than a full platform redesign.
BMW will probably sell the 5 Series in an M Sport variant, as they do with nearly every other model in the lineup. Red M Sport brake calipers could make their debut on the model for the first time. Count on there being a M5 facelift forthcoming as well, though we may have to wait a while to officially see that one.
Inside the cabin, the car is set to have more technology changes than aesthetic ones. Support for Android Auto via a wireless connection is almost certain. The car will also have the latest BMW infotainment operating system, BMW Operating System 7.0.
Stay tuned for more information on the model.
- These are the plug-in electric and all-electric SUVs you can buy right ... ›
- Academy Award, Grammy winner Hans Zimmer tapped to compose ... ›
- BMW's next-gen Digital Key offers smarter tech, safer connectivity ... ›
- Redesigned 2021 BMW 5 Series comes in seven variants that deliver everything you'd expect - AutomotiveMap ›
- Next-gen 2021 BMW 4 Series debuts with a distinctive face, mild-hybrid powertrain - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2021 BMW M5 gets expected upgrades, all for the better - AutomotiveMap ›