New Bentley Bentayga Hybrid gets 443 bhp, 31 miles of all-electric range
The weighty yet wonderful luxurious Bentley Bentayga is inching its way toward better fuel economy. For the 2021 model year, the Bentayga received a design refresh and its plug-in hybrid electric version has finally been unveiled with a bigger battery and fresh looks. This is the first revised PHEV to roll out of the Bentley stable since the company announced that all its vehicles will be electrified by 2026.
Powering the 2021 Bentley Bentayga Hybrid is a twin turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine that is paired with a 94 kilowatt electric motor to create 443 brake horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. That's 100 brake horsepower less than the Bentayga V8, but Bentayga Hybrid buyers aren't primarily looking for performance. According to the automaker, nearly all first-generation Bentayga Hybrid owners use the vehicle in its all-electric EV mode.
The new 17.3 kilowatt-hour battery pack in the Bentayga Hybrid is a significant upgrade and allows for 31 miles of all-electric range, with half consistently journeying below that amount. Owners can charge their battery at a rate of 7.2 kilowatt-hours and gain a full fill up in 2.5 hours. The car's charge port is located on the left side of the vehicle, opposite the fuel flap.
Bentley expected the battery to last 100,000 miles or eight years. The SUV offers a total combined range of 536 miles.
Drivers can use all-electric power up to 84 mph before the V6 activates. The engine also comes to life when EV power is depleted or the SUV's acceleration demands a more forceful power output. Three drive modes serve to regulate power distribution - EV Drive, Hybrid Mode, and Hold Mode. EV Drive mode is engaged as soon as the car is switched on allowing the vehicle to operate on all-electric power as its default mode. Hybrid Mode maximizes vehicle efficiency and range using data from the intelligent navigation system. Hold Mode balances engine and electric power to hold high voltage battery charge for later use.
Bentley delivers each Bentayga Hybrid with market specific charging cables. Buyers can also choose a Bentley branded charging wallbox as a no-cost option. Buyers are responsible for paying for installation themselves.
The MyBentley app offers traditional information as well as Bentayga Hybrid-specific functionality including:
- My Car Statistics - You can view the time and date of recent trips as well as last trip distance, average speed, travel time and average fuel/electric consumption.
- My Battery Charge - Allows drivers to remotely initiate vehicle charging as long as your vehicle is plugged in. You can select the time you plan to leave and the charging system will calculate a rate of charging to achieve the highest level of charge in line with your departure.
- My Cabin Comfort - Lets you remotely heat or cool the cabin to an optimum temperature ahead of your journey.
- E-Charging - Identifies the nearest charging point locations in the area or at a destination of your choice, allowing you to navigate to the most convenient location. You can filter the results by distance, bay availability and charging rate.
The car retains the Bentayga family's styling upgrades including a 10.9-inch infotainment screen at the center of the dashboard with edge-to-edge graphics, navigation with satellite maps, wireless Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. Rear seat entertainment has also gotten a boost with better screens.
New interior and exterior paint and color schemes are available, as well as personalized options through Bentley Mulliner.
- Bentley Mulliner Bacalar competition winner combines seven paint ... ›
- 5 Things you don't know about the Bentley Bentayga - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2021 Bentley Bentayga features revised exterior, impressively ... ›
- One-off Bentley Bentayga Hybrid goes all the way green - AutomotiveMap ›
- Bentley Residences, homes designed for luxury car owners, coming to Sunny Isles Beach - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 Bentley Bentayga S is the sportiest version of the super luxury SUV yet - AutomotiveMap ›