Restored Porsche 911 Carrera 4 sits at the intersection of history and fashion
Porsche 964. The name reminds Porsche enthusiasts of the pert and perky 911 era of the late 80s and early 90s that produced the first Porsches with a Tiptronic automatic transmission and all wheel drive as options.
Teddy Santis, founder and creative director of the popular New York fashion label Aimé Leon Dore (ALD), has collaborated with Porsche in restoring a 911 Carrera 4 from that era. The refreshed car is the product of months of research that included journeys to the Porsche Museum and the 911 assembly line in Stuttgart, Germany.
"Working together with Porsche on this project has been a dream come true," said Santis. "It has been a deeply humbling experience to be entrusted with a project of such importance to the Porsche community and to work together on a design that has been so instrumental in shaping my own outlook and aspirations."
The restoration utilized period-correct original Porsche parts and was supported by Porsche Classic.
The most notable part of the refresh is a fully custom leather interior featuring featuring Schott sunflower leather and Loro Piana houndstooth, the same materials highlighted in Aimé Leon Dore's Fall/Winter 2020 collection. It's bold yet calming and buttery yet strong.
The leather wraps around the dashboard, steering wheel, and door panels. The reverse suede side of the top-grain leather covers up the headliner and sunroof.
View this post on InstagramSchott Sunflower Leather and Loro Piana Houndstooth Wool featured across bespoke Recaro seats, Porsche Classic inspired bag, toolkit and 6-panel hat. @porsche @aimeleondore
A post shared by Aimé Leon Dore (@aimeleondore) on Feb 4, 2020 at 5:00am PST
The seats of the Carrera 4 were taken to the Recaro workshop inn Kircheim, Germany where they were restored.
At the front, the interior of the frunk was covered in Schott leather with Loro Piana accents. Inside the trunk is a care bag inspired by classic Porsche design.
The exterior of ALD's flagship store on Mulberry Street in Manhattan is painted white and shares its shade with the exterior of the Porsche. A custom-designed grille badge is on the rear and takes inspiration from Porsche club memorabilia.
View this post on InstagramINTRODUCING THE AIMÉ LEON DORE PORSCHE 964 CARRERA 4. @PORSCHE @AIMELEONDORE
A post shared by Aimé Leon Dore (@aimeleondore) on Jan 30, 2020 at 5:00am PST
Nods to Porsche history complete the car including Cup 2 wheels, a graphic Pegasus above the front wheel, a rear ducktail.
- Watch: This is the extended cut of Porsche's 'The Heist' Super Bowl ... ›
- Icon 4x4 gives 1970 Ford F100 a potent power boost, makes it just modern enough - AutomotiveMap ›
- New 2021 Porsche 911 Targa design hints at heritage, will set you back over $100,000 - AutomotiveMap ›
- 'The Batman' director shows off new Batmobile with a twin-turbo V8, face like a Barracuda - AutomotiveMap ›
- Targa 4S Heritage Design Edition features Porsche 911's best traits, past and present - AutomotiveMap ›
- Bespoke Porsche watch goes on sale this summer - AutomotiveMap ›
- Porsche Track Precision App extends in-car tech functionality - AutomotiveMap ›
- Coldplay's Guy Berryman shows the classic cars he drives, shares passion for restoration - AutomotiveMap ›
- This modded 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe wants to safari so bad - AutomotiveMap ›
- Millennials don't hate Boomer car culture, they just want to do it their way - AutomotiveMap ›