2022 Kia EV6 shown inside and out for the first time
The Kia EV6 is the company's first dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV). Ahead of the car's official debut later this month, Kia has released fresh images of the model that show off its full exterior and interior for the first time. It was just last week that they released teaser images.
Kia says that the new electric vehicle (EV) was designed under the company's new "opposites united" brand philosophy that plays on contrasts. It rides on the new Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP).
"EV6, as the first dedicated Kia EV, is a showcase of human-centered, progressive design and electrified power. We strongly believe EV6 is a compelling and relevant model for the new EV market," said Karim Habib, Senior Vice President and Head of Global Design Center. "With EV6 we aimed to create a distinctive, impactful design by using a combination of sophisticated, high-tech features on pure and rich volumes, while providing a unique space as a futuristic EV."
Source of inspiration : Opposites united｜Kia www.youtube.com
Opposites United features five key design pillars: 'Bold for Nature', 'Joy for Reason', 'Power to Progress', 'Technology for Life', and 'Tension for Serenity'. Here's how Kia describes each of them:
- Bold for Nature is based on interaction with nature, informed by the details, shapes and proportions found both in the natural and human worlds. This design pillar creates organic, yet technical structures and finishes for vehicle interiors; exterior designs are characterized by a combination of clear and simple lines with bold, ever-changing surfaces.
- Joy for Reason focuses on the feel and ambience of Kia's future vehicles. Future designs will fuse the emotional with the rational, creating vehicles that influence the mood of passengers, by relaxing and inspiring. It will also influence the adoption of new organic materials and more daring colors, expressing a sense of youth and playfulness.
- Power to Progress builds on the brand's current design strengths. By drawing on and developing the skills and expertise learned throughout Kia's recent era of design-led transformation, the designs and layouts of the brand's future products will continue to evolve. Future designs will draw on experience and creativity to invent and innovate new designs.
- Technology for Life embraces new technologies and innovations to foster positive interactions between humans and machines. The brand's future vehicles will adopt a next-generation in-car user experience (UX) through design and innovation and advancements in lighting, feel and in-car connectivity – to help customers engage with their cars.
- Tension for Serenity evokes the tension between opposing forces and creative contrasts, and recognizes the design equilibrium that comes from two opposing forces. It delivers striking design concepts that use sharp, highly technical details to create surface tension – and realize a harmonized, future-oriented design vision.
"We want our products to deliver an instinctive and natural experience that improves the daily lives of our customers. Our aim is to design the physical experience of our brand and to create original, inventive, and exciting electric vehicles. The ideas of our designers and the purpose of the brand are becoming more connected than ever, with our customers at the center of what we do and influencing every decision that we make," added Karim Habib.
The exterior of the EV6 has daytime running lights that form what Kia calls the car's 'Digital Tiger Face' an version of the company's signature 'Tiger Nose Grille' for the electrified era. A sequential dynamic light patter is up front while a slow air intake accentuates the width of the car.
At its side, the car ha s a crossover-inspired design with sharp creases and a swept-back windshield. Its haunches are wide but it's roofline is sleek and C-pillar is visually wide, setting up the appearance of a prominent rear spoiler and long taillight bar for a unique look.
The car's interior plays on the benefits of the E-GMP platform with abundant passenger space. It has the instrument cluster and infotainment screen under one housing, a wheel that is a fresh take on that in the Genesis G80, and haptic climate controls. The seats are slim, lightweight and contemporary, and clad in modern, visually interesting and robust fabrics created using recycled plastics, which create yet greater openness in the cabin.
EV6 is the result of a collaborative effort between all three studios in Kia's global design network in Namyang (Korea), Frankfurt (Germany), and Irvine (California, US).
- 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 brings nearly 300 miles of all-electric range to ... ›
- Kia reveals new logo and slogan while setting a Guinness World ... ›
- 2022 Kia EV6 teased ahead of March 2021 debut - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 Kia EV6 Officially Unveiled in Times Square - AutomotiveMap ›
- North American version of the 2022 Kia EV6 unveiled in Times Square - AutomotiveMap ›