Here's everything we know about the 2022 GMC Hummer EV
General Motors is bringing back the Hummer as an electric-powered truck. Ahead of its planned debut, here's a full run down of all we know.
This Hummer is a GMC.
General Motors has brought the Hummer name back, but not as a stand-alone brand. This time it's under the GMC umbrella. Electric vehicles are usually pricier than a traditionally powertrained vehicle, so it's logical that the Hummer EV fits better under the GMC brand than the Chevrolet marque.
The GMC Hummer EV is an electric truck and SUV.
You won't catch anyone rolling coal in the Hummer truck anytime soon. It's going to be a full-sized model that runs purely on battery power. Word on the street is that GMC will release the Hummer in truck and SUV form, similar to what Rivian is offering in the R1T and the R1S.
It will have a targa top.
The Hummer EV comes with three front windshield wipers.
Yes, three. The reasons for this are unclear at the moment, but the vehicle's reveal will likely yield a clearcut answer.
Indications are that the design is boxy and very Hummer-like.
The modern iterations of GM's trucks are easily the biggest and boxiest to date. This fits easily into the Hummer model and reports indicate that the Hummer EV follows suite and will hold true to many of the design characteristics that Hummer has been known for in the past.
Under the Hummer is EV is GM's third-gen architecture and new battery pack.
In early March, General Motors debuted their new vehicle and battery architecture. We covered it here.
Its range will top what you can get from a Tesla.
There are indications that the GMC Hummer EV will have a 400-mile range. It's likely that GM will sell various grades of the model with different ranges and that the 400-mile model will the the top level offering.
In terms of power, there's a lot to be excited about.
The Hummer EV has more than 1,000 horsepower and a reported 11,500 pound-feet of axle torque. With that output, the truck could conceivably get to 60 mph from a standstill in about 3.0 seconds, similar to what you'll find from a Tesla Model 3.
There may be a rugged off-road version and a top-tier Denali model.
General Motors will make the Hummer EV in Detroit.
It's going to be a 2022 model year vehicle but you'll probably see it at dealerships in late 2021.
General Motors typically releases vehicles in the late summer to early winter of the year prior to that vehicle's model year. For example, the 2019 Chevrolet Suburban would have come out in late 2018. If the GMC Hummer EV holds true to that platform, it will begin arriving on dealership lots in mid to late 2021.
How much will it cost?
Looking at the playing field, there's a lot of experts out there saying that the price will be about $70,000. That's without any incentives or tax breaks.
- GM's Detroit-Hamtramck plant will produce new all-electric pickup ... ›
- Watch: 1,000-horsepower GMC Hummer makes its debut in Super ... ›
- GMC banks on 'Quiet Revolution' starring LeBron James and the ... ›
- First look: GMC Hummer EV to have removable roof panels - AutomotiveMap ›
- Here are the 12 electric vehicles General Motors is introducing by 2023 - AutomotiveMap ›
- First Look: General Motors teases GMC Hummer EV reveal, promises it will debut this fall - AutomotiveMap ›
- Got crab? GMC sets October date for 2022 Hummer EV debut - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2021 GMC Yukon Denali Review: This 3-row SUV a mature and stately bargain - AutomotiveMap ›
- GMC Hummer EV prototype heads to Northern Michigan for winter testing - AutomotiveMap ›