2022 Cadillac V-Series Blackwing will get limited edition magnesium wheels
Slowly, Cadillac is unveiling the bits and bobs on its 2022 CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing vehicles. First it was the badging, then the carbon fiber seats, which were followed by the steering wheel. Now, it's the magnesium wheels. The two cars will be the only General Motors products to offer magnesium wheels in the near future.
The wheel choice was inspired by the championship-winning Cadillac DPi-V.R race car, which made its debut in the IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship series in 2017. That debut marked the return of Cadillac to full constructor racing for the first time since 2002.
The wheels are designed to reduce the unsprung weight of the vehicle. This weight loss equates to improved ride and handling in the models. It's a safe bet that Cadillac will match these wheels with a performance-focused tire.
Magnesium is being used more and more on vehicles. The metal is 75 percent lighter weight than steel and 33 percent lighter than aluminum. It also has the highest known damping capacity of any structural metal meaning that it can dissipate 10 times more energy than steel and aluminum, causing less jolts to passengers in the cabin of a car.
The chemical element has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of all commonly available metals. This means that less of it is required to do its required job than if steel or aluminum were deployed for the same task. That's good because magnesium is traditionally far more expensive than steel and aluminum.
The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing will be available starting summer 2021. Expect both models to debut early next year.
Interested buyers should expect to pay a premium for the car. The non-V-Series versions of the CT4 and CT5 start at $32,995 and $36,895, respectively. Upping to the CT4-V costs at least $44,495 while the CT5-V comes in with a starting price of $47,695.
- Cadillac taking a tiered approach to new sedan lineup, starting with ... ›
- Cadillac signs Regina King to be the new, human face of ... ›
- Cadillac Live interactive digital showroom launches in five US states ›
- Report: 150 dealers to part ways with Cadillac over costly EV-readying upgrades - AutomotiveMap ›
- Cadillac using 3D printing to bring manual transmission to upcoming Blackwing sports cars - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, CT4-V Blackwing bow as the most track-capable Caddies ever - AutomotiveMap ›
- Barrett-Jackson to auction first Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, CT4-V Blackwing for charity - AutomotiveMap ›
- First 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing, CT5-V Blackwing go for $430,000 at auction - AutomotiveMap ›