New Model News
2021 MINI John Cooper Works GP is full of MINImalism, delivers a go-kart drive experience
MINI has revealed its sportiest model to day. The limited edition MINI John Cooper Works GP is a highly dynamic model that combines the essence of classic MINI design with the hallmark behind-the-wheel experience of go kart racing. It follows in the tread of the limited-edition John Cooper Works GP that was sold in 2006 and 2013.
At the front of the model the focus is on its wide track, large front apron, flared wheel arches, and a giant rear wing that is visible even from the front. Its hexagonal grille design and hood scoop project sportiness as well. From the side, the car is modern MINI meets wing. It's hard to see anything but that.
The model is finished in a Racing Grey metallic paint job that changes depending on the light shining on it between light grey and blue-violet. Its mirror caps are Melting Silver colored and all the typical chrome elements have been given a blackout treatment.
While the aesthetics may be unique, the car is full of what the brand calls "MINImalism". It has carbon fiber elements throughout car that improves its power-to-weight ratio. The car's forged 18-inch wheels are the lightest MINI has ever made. By optimizing the axle load distribution, the car delivers a true go-kart drive experience.
The interior of the model has traditional MINI design elements but ups the the ante with colorful accents and a new free-standing digital instrument cluster on the steering column.
A number of components in the model are 3D printed including elements of the aluminum shift paddles on the steering wheel. The steering wheel clasp and the individual decorative trim strip in the passenger area are also 3D printed.
The MINI John Cooper Works GP is a coupe with no back seat, delivering a weight savings to improve drive dynamics.
The car gets its power from a twin-turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that generates 201 horsepower.
Just 3,000 of the models will be produced. It will go on sale in the U.S. later this year. Pricing has yet to be announced.
- These 24 automobile nameplates are over 40 years old (one is over ... ›
- Ranked: Britain's best classic cars - AutomotiveMap ›
- Ranked: These are the best vehicles to buy new (versus used ... ›
- Redesigned 2021 MINI Cooper Countryman features a refined exterior, additional exterior options - AutomotiveMap ›
- Updated 2021 MINI Countryman John Cooper Works retains spirited drive, gets new features - AutomotiveMap ›
- New MINI Paddy Hopkirk Edition takes inspiration from 1964 Monte Carlo Rally - AutomotiveMap ›
- New MINI special editions pay tribute to model from '69, offer a value proposition - AutomotiveMap ›
- MINI outlines its plans for new models, including EVs - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 MINI Cooper: Features, Specs, Price, MSRP - AutomotiveMap ›
- Specialized Hankook tires make MINI JCW GP a snow day treat - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2022 MINI John Cooper Works: features, specs, MSRP - AutomotiveMap ›