2021 Jeep Gladiator getting an EcoDiesel V6 that will be available on three models
The 2021 Jeep Gladiator will be available with a new, Italy-made 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine. The fresh engine will deliver the highest driving range on one tank of fuel ever for Gladiator.
"Before we introduced Gladiator, one of the most common questions consumers asked us was, 'Will you please offer a Jeep truck?,' followed closely by, 'Will it be offered with a diesel engine?' While we know the answer to the first question, I'm pleased to answer the second with a resounding, 'Yes!'," said Jim Morrison, Head of Jeep Brand – North America.
The new engine is capable of achieving 260 horsepower and 442 pound-feet of torque. It comes standard with engine stop-start technology and is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The powertrain's engineers have allowed for more than 40 individual shift maps to optimize shift points.
They've also engineered a new-generation water-cooled turbocharger on the engine that increases efficiency and responsiveness. The engines cylinder head intake ports have been modified to allow for a higher flow capacity. FCA, Jeep's parent company, has altered the compression ratio in the engine to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1 to improve fuel economy and reduce engine noise. Also, the aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned.
A new 5.1-gallon diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) tank is located immediately behind the fuel tank with refill location next to the diesel fuel filler. DEF refills align with oil changes and can last up to 10,000 miles. Levels are monitored via a new DEF gauge in the front cluster.
It will be available on the 2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport, Overland, and Rubicon. Those models all feature third-generation Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles. When equipped with the new engine, the truck gets a 3.73 axle ratio.
The Rock-Trac two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio is standard on Rubicon models and the Command-Trac part-time two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio on Sport and Overland models.
The 2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel goes on sale in the third quarter of 2020. Customers can order their model at the dealership of their choice now.
- 2020 Jeep Gladiator Altitude debuts - AutomotiveMap ›
- Thumbs up! 1000-horsepower Jeep Gladiator-based Hennessy ... ›
- Over-engineered 2020 Jeep Gladiator can conquer tough terrain ... ›
- Special edition 2021 Jeep models celebrate the birthday of a long-running nameplate - AutomotiveMap ›
- New 2021 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Lux packages premium features with low price tag - AutomotiveMap ›
- Jeep Gladiator Willys added to the lineup for 2021 offering budget-friendly capability - AutomotiveMap ›
- Jeep Gladiator Top Dog Concept is designed for off-roading, mountain biking enthusiasts - AutomotiveMap ›