Listen: This is the 2021 Ford Bronco's powertrain in action
Speculation about the new Ford Bronco is a favorite topic on forums and in your friendly hometown bar. The return of the SUV has been hotly anticipated for the better part of a decade now. Still, firm details are hard to nail down.
The 2019 SCORE Baja 1000 gave the general public the first glimpse of what will evolve to become the new Bronco. Despite the company's DNF, the Bronco R revealed a key nugget of detail about the forthcoming production SUV.
Ford has confirmed that the Bronco R ran the Baja race with the 2021 Ford Bronco's production powertrain.
Exactly what that engine and transmission are is currently under embargo, but AutomotiveMap was along for the ride during the race and captured several examples of in-vehicle and outside-the-vehicle recordings of the engine revving at idle, accelerating, and decelerating.
We've isolated the engine noise in recordings below so you can hear the sound for yourself and make a judgement about what you think the engine in the new Bronco is. We've also included a few pictures of the Bronco R's under-hood set up a little further down.
The Bronco R idling then taking off at the ceremonial start line in Ensenada, Baja California:
2021 Ford Bronco: Production Powertrain Isolated Sound // Baja 1000 Bronco R at Ceremonial Startyoutu.be
Sound from the cockpit of the Bronco R driving along the road and then off road on the way from Ojos Negros, Baja California to Ensenada:
2021 Ford Bronco: Production Powertrain Isolated Sound // Baja 1000 Bronco R Driving On-Roadyoutu.be
2021 Ford Bronco: Production Powertrain Isolated Sound // Baja 1000 Bronco R Cockpit Off-Roadingyoutu.be
The Bronco R rejoins the race with rapid acceleration:
2021 Ford Bronco: Production Powertrain Isolated Sound // Baja 1000 Bronco R Rejoins Raceyoutu.be
On the scene in Baja California, AutomotiveMap was able to get a few photos of what was under the hood of the Bronco R as it sat in Ensenada.
- I rode in the 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E to find out if it's worthy of ... ›
- Ford's 10 best SEMA builds show that what happens in Vegas ... ›
- Ford confirms Bronco's return to off road racing, announces Baja ... ›
- Here's how to reserve the 2021 Ford Bronco - AutomotiveMap ›
- Watch the Ford Bronco premiere at home on your TV - AutomotiveMap ›
- Here's what Ford's Built Wild badge means - AutomotiveMap ›
- Ford confirms three-model Bronco family lineup - AutomotiveMap ›
- Ford Bronco Off-Roadeo adventure playgrounds coming to four U.S. locations in 2021 ›
- Here's how Ford's breadcrumbs feature works in SYNC 3 - AutomotiveMap ›