LA Auto Show 2019
Genesis gives G90 a (nearly) complete makeover just three years in
It's been just three years since the Genesis G90 went on sale in the U.S. but the automaker has decided that it is already time for a complete model update. For the 2020, the flagship sedan gets major exterior and interior changes, new technology, and a safety upgrade.
"G90 is the ultimate expression of the Genesis brand," said Luc Donckerwolke, Executive Vice President and Chief Design Officer, Hyundai Motor Group. "Before the first sketch was even drawn, my team of designers thought carefully about how to evolve its styling and create something even more elegant and harmonic."
Genesis has redesigned the G90 for the 2020 model year. Photo courtesy of Genesis
With the exception of the car's roof and doors, every body panel on the 2020 Genesis G90 has been replaced or changed. Its new Crest Grille is flanked by quad headlamps. At the rear, quad taillamps wrap around corner to corner is a Lincoln-esque way. Its license plate sits low, making the eyes focus on the rear design rather than a government regulated piece of metal.
Nineteen-inch wheels are available for the first time on the 2020 model and feature a new G-Matrix pattern.
The cabin of the G90 features a horizontal layout that emphasizes the car's vast passenger space. There is chrome plating on the switches and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Open-pore wood and double stitching and piping are arranged throughout the space.
Genesis is touring the G90's long list of brand firsts including over the air updates for maps and infotainment system software, a 12.3-inch touch screen for navigation with a copper graphic interface.
The model comes with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Mirror Link.
Genesis has enabled the car to log user driving patterns and it informs the driver when there is a need to address vehicle wear with maintenance.
Genesis has simplified the interior of the G90 for the 2020 model year. Photo courtesy of Genesis
The automaker has given the 2020 model a long list of standard safety and driver assistance technology including:
- Lane Following Assist - expands the reach of lane-keep and lane-departure assists, to help stay centered in a lane and provide steering assistance.
- Rear Cross-traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist - uses rear side radar to help detect and prevent impact with obstacles.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) can now help detect bicycles and vehicles in front of the vehicle.
- Safe Exit Assist - may alert a driver and passengers with alerts when an object is approaching an opening door.
- Highway Driving Assist - assists the driver to maintain the center of a lane on marked interstate highways, while keeping a safe distance from a vehicle in front. It can act in conjunction with Highway Auto Speed Slowdown, which adjusts vehicle speed to match posted signs.
Each 2020 Genesis G90 sold in the U.S. will come with valet services. The no-additional-cost program allows owners to schedule appointments with the use of valet pickup and drop-off.
Also included with every G90 purchase:
- 3 years/36,000 miles of complimentary scheduled maintenance
- 3 years/36,000 miles complimentary Service Valet
- 3 years of complimentary Genesis Connected Services, including Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Destination Search powered by Voice and Remote Start with climate control
- 3 years of complimentary SiriusXM® Travel Link (Data Services)
- 3 years of complimentary Annual Multimedia and Navigation Updates
- Lifetime complimentary traffic data
- Best-in-class warranty with Enhanced Roadside Assistance and Concierge Services, including tire changes or transportation to the nearest Genesis retailer or authorized service facility, and reimbursement for inconvenience.
Genesis will sell the G90 in two trim levels: 3.3T Premium and 5.0 Ultimate. The 3.3. and 5.0 designee which engine the car uses, either a turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 that gets 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque, or the 5.0-liter V8 that delivers 420 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. Both engines are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and are rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is available.
The 2020 Genesis G90 will go on sale in December. Pricing will be announced closer to its on-sale date.