New Model News
Audi A4 gets updated for the 2020 model year with fresh look, new tech
Audi has sold more A4s than any other sedan in their history. It's consistently one of the highest rated midsize cars sold in the U.S. For the 2020 model year, the German automaker has given the entire A4 lineup, including the A4 sedan, A4 Allroad, and S4, a serious mid-cycle refresh.
On the outside, the A4 has received styling updates that give it a new look that is more in line with the rest of the modern Audi lineup. Its Singleframe grille is broader and flatter while the air intakes below the headlamps have been made larger and angled inward.
The Audi A4 has a refined exterior and a host of tech upgrades inside.Photo courtesy of Audi AG
It's easy to follow the car's shoulder line from the corner of the LED headlamps at the edge of the hood across the rear door handle and to the taillights. The car's wheel arches are more pronounced and helps give the car a more athletic appearance. The car now features a broader rear side window and narrower C-pillar, giving the illusion that the cabin is longer.
The 2020 Audi A4 with all-wheel drive, dubbed the "Quattro", gets a standard S line exterior including a titanium black honeycomb structure in its Singleframe grille, aluminum silver matte inserts in the large front air inlets and tailpipe trim, and 18-inch five-double-spoke design wheels with all-season tires.
The wagon version fo the A4, the A4 Allroad, gets matte gray body cladding and a unique Q-design Singleframe grille with vertical chrome slats.
The Audi A4's shoulder line runs from the headlamps to the taillamps.Photo courtesy of Audi AG
The S4 is the sportiest looking model. It has a double-slat alu-optic Singleframe grille, alu-optic exterior side mirror housings, body-color door handles, S model specific quad exhaust outlets in chrome and a trunk lid lip spoiler. Buyers can opt for the black optic package with black exterior mirror housings and 19-inch five-V-spoke-star design wheels in titanium finish with summer tires.
The cabin of the A4 has gotten a significant tech upgrade including Audi's new MMI 3 infotainment system. Combined with a 10.1-inch touch screen it offers users cleaner design and better usability. It's also 10 times faster than the MMI 2 system.
Audi Connect Services is available and for 2020, it will include access to Verizon's 4G LTE Wi-Fi network when the buyer opts in for a plan.
Additional interior features include:
- Standard three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles.
- Standard power sunroof (panoramic sunroof on A4 allroad) adds light to the cabin.
- Standard power rear child locks
- Standard heated eight-way power driver seat with four-way power lumbar for driver on A4 FWD models, standard front sport seats with four-way lumbar on A4 quattro models, and standard front S sport seats with power lumbar, pneumatic side bolsters, and massage function on S4 models.
- Standard three-zone automatic climate control with rear display.
- Standard ambient LED interior lighting or available multicolor LED lighting plus package.
- Available S line interior package (A4 quattro sedan) enhances the vehicle's already sporty interior with a flat-bottom steering wheel with S line badge, leather and Alcantara® seats, brushed aluminum inlays, and stainless steel pedal caps.
Additional technology features include:
- Available second-generation Audi virtual cockpit featuring a 12.3-inch display that offers HD resolution of 1920 x 720 pixels. The driver can choose between three viewing modes – classic, sport and dynamic. On S4 models, sport mode replaces classic mode as the default view, and an S Performance mode replaces dynamic mode, which brings the tachometer and speedometer to the front and center of the display and adds a boost gauge and lap timer function. The virtual cockpit helps to enhance the infotainment and navigating experience through the large Google Earth™ imagery or 3D city maps (requires Audi connect PRIME subscription) supported with 4G LTE (where available).
- Available full-color head-up display projects relevant driving information in the driver's field of vision.
- Available Audi phone box connects compatible smartphones with an external antenna and can wirelessly charge the phone.
- Standard Audi smartphone interface provides access to Apple CarPlay™ and Google™ Android Auto for compatible devices.
- Available Bang & Olufsen sound system with 3D sound, which delivers nearly true to-life surround sound through 19 speakers, including a subwoofer and center speaker, and a 16-channel amplifier producing an output of 705 watts.
The A4 models still have the same engine lineup as they did for the 2019 model year.
Audi has increased the number of standard and available safety and driver assistance features in the A4 for the 2020 model year. They include:
- In the case of emergency braking or maneuvers, standard Audi pre sense® basic can intervene to help prepare the vehicle for impact. This process includes beginning to close the side windows and panoramic sunroof, pre-tensioning the front safety belts.
- Standard Audi pre sense® city uses a camera to monitor the area in front of the vehicle and provides visual and acoustic warnings to help alert the driver to potentially hazardous situations.
- Available Audi side assist provides blind spot monitoring via LED indicators on the exterior mirror housings at speeds above 9 mph.
- Available Audi active lane assist helps to keep the driver within the driving lane through corrective steering intervention and adjustable wheel vibration, at speeds above 40 mph.
- Available Rear cross traffic assist (as part of Audi side assist and parking system plus) supports the driver when reversing out of a perpendicular parking space. Indicator arrows in the MMI® display can help inform the driver of approaching vehicles, and in critical situations, a warning tone and brake jolt can be applied, prompting the driver to fully stop the vehicle.
- Available Audi pre sense rear (as a part of Audi side assist) uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to help detect an impending rear-end collision, and can initiate preventative measures.
- Available Adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam assist helps maintain set distance from the vehicle in front, including braking and accelerating as needed, between speeds of 0 to 40 mph.
- Available top view camera system uses four wide-angle 360-degree cameras to record the entire area surrounding, projected on the MMI screen, allowing the driver to see "around" the vehicle to help with maneuvering in tight spaces.
- Available for the first time on A4 models, Park assist can assist the driver with parallel and perpendicular parking by taking control of the steering while the driver accelerates, shifts gears and brakes.
The 2020 Audi A4 starts at $37,400 and tops out around $47,000. The A4 Allroad starts at $44,600 and can be upgraded to the Prestige trim which runs $53, 650. The 2020 Audi S4 starts at $49,900 and reaches nearly $59,000 in its top trim level. Each new Audi has an additional $995 destination change.
- Understated 2020 Audi S8 will get you to 60 mph in a zippy 3.8 ... ›
- 2020 Audi E-Tron Sportback continues automaker's EV-focused future ›
- 600-horsepower 2020 Audi RS Q8 debuts as solution to sluggish Q8 ... ›
- Everything you need to know about Audi's third-gen MIB infotainment system - AutomotiveMap ›
- Audi drops ‘insensitive’ ad featuring a child with a banana - AutomotiveMap ›
- 2020 Lexus ES 350 F Sport Review: This is the ES variant you should be buying - AutomotiveMap ›